Our kidneys are among the most important organs of our body. They eliminate the harmful toxins that our body doesn’t need. When something harms them or an illness occurs, they can affect the quality of people’s life seriously. Generally, we consume different medicines: for the flu, for the stomach, for the head, for the bones or simply, to relieve general problems and pains. Unfortunately, all of them generate side effects on our health, especially our kidneys. Consuming them excessively can harm our health instead of improve it.
Here, we’re going to present you 10 of the most harmful medicines for your kidneys. You must be very careful when you consume these medicines and take them under a strict medical supervision!
- Lithium, used to treat bipolar disorder.
- Anticonvulsants, including phenytoin (brand name Dilantin) and trimethadione (brand name Tridione), used to treat seizures and other conditions.
- Chemotherapy drugs, including interferons, pamidronate, cisplatin, carboplatin, cyclosporine, tacrolimus, quinine, mitomycin C, bevacizumab; and anti-thyroid drugs, including propylthiouracil, used to treat overactive thyroid.
- Heartburn drugs of the proton pump inhibitor class, including omeprazole (brand name Prilosec), lansoprazole (brand name Prevacid), pantoprazole (brand name Protonix), rabeprazol (brand names Rabecid, Aciphex), esomeprazole (brand names Nexium, Esotrex).
- Antiviral drugs, including acyclovir (brand name Zovirax) used to treat herpes infection, and indinavir and tenofovir, both used to treat HIV.
- High blood pressure drugs, including captopril (brand name Capoten).
- Rheumatoid arthritis drugs, including infliximab (brand name Remicade); chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, which are used to treat malaria and systemic lupus erythematosus as well as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Antibiotics, including ciprofloxacin, methicillin, vancomycin, sulfonamides.
- Analgesics, including acetominophen and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID): aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and others available only by prescription.
- COX-2 inhibitors, including celecoxib (brand name Celebrex). Two drugs in this class have been withdrawn from the market because of cardiovascular toxicity: rofecoxib (brand name Vioxx), and valdecoxib (brand name Bextra). These drugs are a special class of NSAID that were developed to be safer for the stomach, but have the same risk as other NSAIDs for kidney damage.