The skin consists elastin which is like an elastic tissue, it is soft, supple, and stretchable. There are some situation which exert extra pressure on the skin like sudden weight loss or gain, pregnancy, and rapid growth in teens, thus the skin gets the purple or red, thick lines that are known as stretch marks. Over time, they will fade and will become white, but they won’t go away on their own.
The following remedies will assist you get rid of them in a natural way
- Apricot mask – You will need 2-3 apricots and lukewarm water (enough to wash off the affected spot). Remove the seeds from the apricots, make them a paste and apply it on the affected spot. Let it act for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. You can initially follow the procedure two times a day, and then move to once daily, for a whole month.
- Aloe Vera mask – The plant contains collagen which repairs the human skin. You should better use the gel taken out from the leaves, instead of purchasing it from a store. De-thorn a leaf from Aloe Vera and remove the outer skin. Take the sticky gel from the leaf out and apply it on the stretch mark. Let it stay for 2 hours and then wash it off with water.
- Oil mask – you should massage the oil gently on the skin for half an hour a day, but also just applying the oils on the stretch marks will f=do wonders. It should be applied 3-4 times daily. Olive oil is considered the best for removing stretch marks, but other can also help. Those are: lavender, chamomile, helichrysum, geranium, myrrh, frankincense, and rose oil. You can mix certain oils and apply it on the marks. Take ½ tsp of lavender oil, ½ tsp of chamomile oil and 2 tsp of almond oil (you may take another carrier oil in place of almond oil, like avocado, or jojoba). Mix the oils well and apply it on the stretch marks each day 3-4 time.
- Potato juice mask – potato contains essential fatty acids as well as other phytochemicals such ad polyphenols and carotenoids, lots of minerals and vitamins. Potato is able to stimulate collagen and elastin synthesis, and can effectively restore skin cells. Take 1 medium sized potato, cut it into thick slices, and use them to gently rub the stretch marks, applying the juice over the marks. Let it act for 5-10 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Lemon juice – they are bleaching agents and the alpha hydroxyl acids as well as vitamin C effectively remove the dead skin, making the stretch marks disappear fast/ you will need 1 lemon cut into 2 halves. Use one piece of the lemon to rub gently on the stretch marks for 10 minutes and then wash it off with warm water. You can also mix lemon juice with cucumber, potato, or tomato juice in equal ratio (1 tbsp. each) to make it superfast cure.
- Cocoa and shea butter mask – they are natural antioxidants that provide emollient properties that moisturize the skin, penetrating deeply into it and repairing and removing the stretch marks. Cocoa butter also repairs the skin, while shea butter melts fast and can be easily absorbed by the skin. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant which penetrates through the skin layers, helping the wounds heal faster and removing the scars. Take 2 tsp of cocoa butter, 2 tsp of shea butter, and 1 tsp of vitamin E oil. Melt the cocoa and shea butter, and then add the vitamin E oil, mixing them well. Store it into a container once it cools down, you will get a solid state cream. Apply it on the affected spots 2 times a day on a clean skin, or after having a bath.
- Egg whites mask – they contain 40 different proteins and are high in collagen and vitamin A, thus they can treat scars and burns efficiently. Take an egg white and beat it with a fork. Apply it on the stretch marks, let it act for 15 minutes, and then wash it off with water. Pat dry the area and then apply some moisturizing oil (olive oil would be great).
- Alfalfa mask – it is high in amino acids, vitamins K and E, thus can make stretch marks fade away. Take 1 tsp of alfalfa powder and mix it with a few drops of chamomile oil. Apply it on the affected area and let it stay for 1 minutes. Finally, wash it off with lukewarm water. Repeat the procedure 3 times a day.
- Drink water in order to hydrate the skin and aid stretch marks removal – if your skin is supple and not hydrated, no remedy will work fine. Consume enough water (8-10 glasses a day) to detoxify your body and restore skin elasticity.
- Eat well to get rid of stretch marks – you need to be well nourished as lack of nutrients cannot give full benefits of the creams, lotions, oils, and masks that are being applied externally. Take a good protein amount on daily basis, including yogurt, nuts, eggs, fish, and beans, squash, pumpkin seeds, almonds, peanuts, and watermelon seeds. Take foods high in vitamin C in order to encourage skin tissue growth, like dark leafy vegetables, broccoli, guava, peppers, strawberries, oranges, gooseberries, papaya, kale, nuts, spinach, olive oil, wheat, kiwi, and other tropical fruits. Get nuts and seeds as they are high in minerals and will tone your skin, especially during pregnancy. You should avoid saturated fats as they can make you obese and cause skin stretching.