Many people worldwide deal with dry and rough hands, especially during winter. Since we all want to have soft and smooth hands with a pink tone, most of the people tend to use store bought products which in the end are not that effective. Well, you don’t have to worry anymore, since there are many homemade treatments which will help you make your hands soft and smooth.
Causes for Dry and Rough Hands
Here are some of the causes which lead to dry and rough hands:
- Improper care of hands
- Inadequate moisturizing of hands
- Dry air
- Cold and dry weather
- Washing hands frequently or keeping hands immersed in water for long time
- Dealing with harmful chemicals, specially with bare hands
- Skin conditions like psoriasis or eczema etc.
- Allergy affecting hands
- Swimming in chlorinated pools
- Low humidity
- Sun exposure
- Using harsh soap bars to wash hands
- Some medications also cause dry hands
The key to have smooth and soft hands is to take proper care of your hands which includes using the right products such as soaps, moisturizers, etc.
Home Remedies for Dry Rough Hands:
1. Give Oil Massage to your Dry and Rough Hands
Since ancient times, people have been using all kinds of oils in order to make anything soft, so we can clearly use them in order to make our hands smooth. In order to achieve soft skin, you need to apply some oil and then massage your hands on a regular basis. Even though every type of oil is good, certain oils are much more effective like olive and coconut oil. When it comes to olive oil, it is abundant in antioxidants as well as fatty acids which moisturize dry skin very effectively. Coconut oil on the other hand, has medium chain fatty acids which provide the same effects as the ones in olive oil.
Oil (olive/coconut/ any other oil)
How to make:
- First of all, warm the oil you chose, but make sure it’s not too hot.
- After that, apply the oil on your hands and massage them for 5 to 10 minutes initially.
- After a while, you will notice that your hands are less drier and rough, so you should reduce the time of massaging. One to two minutes will be enough on a daily basis, and then 2-3 times per week
2. Olive Oil and Sugar Scrub to get rid of Dry Rough Hands instantly
If you want to achieve softer skin faster, you should prepare a scrub with olive oil and sugar and massage your hands which will help you get rid of dry and rough skin in less than a minute. This works because olive oil moisturizes and hydrates the skin cells while the sugar exfoliates and sloughs off the rough dead skin cells.
- Olive oil- 1-2 tbsp
- Sugar- 1-2 tbsp
How to make:
- Prepare a mixture with equal amounts of sugar and olive oil.
- Use gentle circular motions to scrub the mixture into your palms. Do it for several minutes.
- After that, allow the scrub to stand a few minutes more on your palms.
- Use warm water to rinse it off and pat dry.
- In the end, apply your usual moisturizer.
- Feel the softness in your hands.
- Repeat this 2-3 times per week.
3. Honey, the sweet remedy for Dry Rough Hands
Honey health benefits need no introduction. The good news is that honey is also good for your skin health. It is one of the best natural moisture loaded with antioxidants, antimicrobial and humectant properties. Its humectant effects help in locking the moisture and keep your hands soft and smooth.
- Honey- 1-2 tsp
- Olive oil (optional)- ½ tsp
- Lemon juice (optional)- few drops
How to make:
- Honey, by itself, is a good remedy for dry rough skin of your hands. Just rub a little honey into your palms and all over hands for few minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Pat dry and apply some moisturizer.
- To make it more effective, you can add little olive oil and lemon juice to honey.
- Mix the things well.
- Apply this to your hands.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water, pat dry and moisturize your hands.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.